Sunday, August 11, 2019

Memorizing Scripture

Used by permission -- churchofjesuschrist.org
Back in the old days when I was in seminary we had scriptures that we were to memorize if we could.  I am thankful for all of those that I memorized and managed to remember.  I have been thinking lately how I should find a scripture verse for various circumstances and memorize them so that, in that circumstance, I will have a solution, or encouragement, or guidance that I can pull out to help me.  (I seem to talk a lot about memorizing quite a bit lately without actually having done any yet!).  I guess just finding the scriptures would be a good start!

Here are a some scriptures I like:

For hard times, discouragement, or times when inclined to beat oneself up:
Hebrews 4:  15-16:  "For we have not an high priest (Jesus) which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.  Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need."
When tempted to be quick to judgment or anger:
James 1:19:"...let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath"
When I just want to do what I want without considering what God wants (and because it makes me smile):
James 1:21:  "Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls." 
When I want to help someone but don't know how:
James 5:16:  "...pray one for another, that ye may be healed.  The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much."
And finally for any time I need to remember that I am loved, and so is everyone else:
 1 John 4:9"In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him."
I would love to know the scriptures that you pull out in different circumstances to help you!

No comments: