Sunday, August 4, 2019

Morning Person or Night Person?

People ask sometimes, "Are you a morning person or a night person?"  Hmmm.  When I wake up my whole body usually hurts.  I do not wake up and think, "Oh good!  I have a lovely day to enjoy and to get things done in!"  A lot of times I wake up, everything sounds hard, and I want to hide under the covers all day even though I logically know that I will feel a LOT better once I start moving.  So, am I a wake up in the morning feeling jolly person?  Not usually.  I even feel guilty that I don't wake up feeling thankful for a lovely new day.  I have to work my way to gratitude.  That being said, mornings are my favorite time to get things done.  I can sometimes feel heroic at how much I can get done in a morning!  Once I get moving, and eat, morning is my most energetic time.  And mornings are often very beautiful, happy, and productive.

Afternoons I start flagging, and by dinner I'm ready to go into hiding for a while and hope a cook will show up.  Sometimes one of my kids or Derek fills that role, which is awesome!  Sometimes we all take care of ourselves.  I've not cooked so often that even my guilt over not cooking is starting to abate (after 31 years I think that's a good thing).  After dinner I might have another burst of energy, or not.  At bedtime I sometimes get super chatty, and Derek gets to hear about whatever great thing I've been thinking about.  Other times I'll be so tired that I see everything through a negative window where I've been the villain when I wanted to be the hero.  Tragedy ensues for a while.  Or, I might just lie down, think of a happy story, and drift off into sleep.  I'm sure that Derek never quite knows which me will show up at bedtime!

So am I a morning person OR a night person?  Yes.  And sometimes I'm a morning person AND a night person.  But most days I have good moments and less good moments in the morning and the night, and I try to be thankful for both.

**Picture by Dawid Zawilla via Upsplash

No comments: