Tuesday, August 27, 2019

That One Time .....

Picture by Connor
Unrelated to my post except it's me.
My "new" shirt from Amanda
and my new shoes because
my other ones hurt my feet.
And I like new shoes :-)
I remember this one time.  My visiting teachers, who were two nice ladies assigned to come visit me and give me a lesson once a month, made an appointment, and they showed up!  Good so far.  But then they proceeded to visit with each other.  I was totally unnecessary.  In fact, I kept thinking that maybe they wouldn't notice if I hurried and went to get a few things done while they chatted. 

This was a long time ago, and I do not remember who the ladies were.  I believe they had good intentions, but they knew each other better than they knew me, and perhaps it was just more comfortable to talk to each other.  Maybe I'm scary?  Anyhow, the point isn't that they were bad.  They weren't.  They just weren't paying attention to everyone in our little group.  I mention this because I have to wonder how often that has been me.  How often have I been the person chatting with the friend next to me, and not noticing the person on my other side who is lonely, and doesn't have someone to talk to?

I have been the new kid in many classes, and even the new member of several wards.  I am always thankful for the person who looks up, sees a stranger, and smiles.  I appreciate it when they invite me to sit by them, and then are friendly -- making conversation that I can participate in, or asking if I have questions.  It takes courage to walk into a room of strangers who all know each other!  It is hard when people sit around you talking about people and places you don't know.  I really want to be a person who pays attention, and doesn't given anyone stories they can tell of "That one time" when they were made to feel like an unnecessary outsider who isn't particularly needed or welcome. 

1 comment:

Diwakar said...

Hello sister Sherie. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I am blessed and feel privileged and honoured to get connected with you as well as know you and about your interest in being a best christian possible. It was interesting to go through your blog post. I LOVE getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged, strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 40 yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to MUMBAI to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you come with your husband or encourage your grown up kids to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacaton time. I am sure it will be a life changing experience. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you, your family and friends. My email id is:dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede