Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Happy People Exercise

Weight lifting!
Picture by Jake
Can I just whine a little bit here?  Why is the answer to feeling better, which helps us be happier, always to "eat right and exercise?"  I guess it would be too easy if the answer was "eat ice cream and watch other people exercise."  I would be SO good at that one!

I'm afraid I get a little creative in what I count as exercise sometimes.  Let's see -- I've walked around the garden to water it, and walked around Walmart (and it's pretty big) and I even lifted a laundry basket full of clothes or two (weight lifting).  Check!

I am supposed to be walking 30 minutes a day and lifting weights a couple of times a week.  I can probably lift 3 pounds without making my shoulders hurt too bad -- maybe -- but should I really risk pain?  Oh -- I've just remembered.  No pain.  No gain.  I don't like that "rule" either.

So, if you are good at exercising, and you maybe even love it, I am so proud of you!  Feel very good about yourself!  If you are like me, and you try really hard to love exercise, but mostly you just don't because it causes you pain, or makes you need a nap, then well, we should exercise together because there's the saying that "misery loves company!"  And maybe give yourself a hug of compassion knowing that a LOT of people struggle to follow the exercising "rules" perfectly -- and then maybe get creative in what you count so you will feel happy!

No comments: