Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Remember, Remember, Remember -- Not To Worry!!!

Derek and Me on Friday of the reunion.
Connor playing the piano, Weston playing the Mandolin
My girls, with Tonya and her girls, plus Porter playing a game.
If you look closely you can see the reunion theme on the back of their shirts.

Last weekend was the Christensen reunion.  The theme was "Remember, Remember, Remember".  A couple of nights before the reunion I started to worry.  What if I had super emotional days during the reunion?  What if nobody out of the sixty something people who were attending came to talk to me?  What if I made a yucky chicken salad, and nobody wanted to eat it?  I really had a bad case of the what ifs!  Thankfully, I remembered that it helps not to focus on me, and how I will feel, or could feel, and so I tried to think instead of what I could do. 

I could talk to people myself instead of waiting for them to find me.  I could try to help people with their assignments.  I could not think about the chicken salad too much because I knew people would help.  Thinking this was was a lot better and helped me look forward to what is always a well planned event that is attended by some of the nicest people ever.

So what happened?  The first night I didn't sleep so great, so I got up early, went over the devotional I was asked to give, and went to help with breakfast.  When I occasionally found myself myself standing alone in the crowd, I would look around and find someone to talk to.  It was really a happy day.  The last day I did end up feeling really emotional, but it was still a good day, and I did have people helping me with the chicken salad, which turned out just fine!

Let me just say that the Christensen clan are SO kind and thoughtful that I knew it was ridiculous to worry.  And, worry doesn't help anyway.  But it was good to see so clearly the difference it makes when I focus away from myself and how I might feel, or what things might be hard for me in the future, and instead focus on the things I can do to help someone else.  It was a good reminder to remember, remember, remember not to worry!

No comments: