Friday, July 19, 2019

Happy People Have In Person Conversations

This picture just got my funny bone.  They aren't people, but they are probably happier because they are obviously having a conversation!
So, what counts as an in person conversation?  Do I have to be standing by someone?  Can I be on the phone?  Texting?  Maybe not that one, though it has helped me be happier before when I was feeling like I would cry at someone if I called, but I could have a perfectly fine "conversation" if I texted!  And I know that talking on the phone with a friend is almost always a good thing for me!  Does talking to yourself count?  I think this works a little if I talk out loud, but not if I am talking to myself in my head.  I seem to be nicer to me when I talk out loud. 

I think some of the happiness gained has to depend on what the conversation is about.  Some conversations can be depressing!  And some just aren't interesting to us, and we have them to help the person we are listening to be a happier person.  Dan loves to talk about coding on the computer with a program called Scratch.  He would be happy to talk about it with me, or you for hours.  I do not love talking about coding, even though Dan can do some pretty cool things, and has an amazing imagination!  I do love Dan though.

I really do think that, for the most part, I am happier if I have more in person conversations -- or more conversations in general.  I just need to remember to find someone to talk to when I am starting to feel less than happy!

*Photo by Mihai Surdu on Unsplash

No comments: