Friday, January 24, 2020

Accepting What Is -- With Gratitude

There are times when I, and everyone else, just doesn't like how things are in some way.  Maybe we don't like what we look like, or our physical limitations, or our job, or where we live, or the way we are treated.  How do we handle those things with gratitude when we don't want them to be how they are?  Will having gratitude mean we have settled?  Given up?  Well, here's a thought.  What if gratitude is the first step to change?  What if things will never be different (in a good way) without a little gratitude?  

For example.  If I look in the mirror every day and point out every flaw, and really dislike what I see, am I going to treat myself well?  Will I take care of this person I don't like?  It seems more likely that if I look in the mirror and see all that my body has done and can do, all of the hard things it has gotten me through, and am thankful, I will want to take care of the person in the mirror the best I can, and not treat myself carelessly.

Then there are physical limitations.  I've talked before about my slow hiking and how I cry over it.  But if I instead focus on the fact that I am out in nature, with people I love, and that I can move and breath (even if it is in gasps)  I would be more likely to have a little compassion on myself and let go of the frustration that things are not different.  Then I might hike more often -- and actually get faster!

There are things that just won't change.  Dan's allergies have only ever changed for the worse, but he has impressed me with his ability (most of the time) to be grateful about the things he can eat.  Only when I accepted his allergies, was I able to let go of my feelings of resistance and frustration and find gratitude in the information that is out there to help.

I believe that accepting what is with gratitude is the catalyst for change, either in the situation, or in the way we deal with it.  When we stop wasting energy wishing things were different, and accept what is, we can use the energy we've been wasting to move forward.

Photo by Freshh Connection on Unsplash

No comments: