Thursday, August 24, 2023

The Second "Noble Truth"

This is the Payson temple.  I took this picture on Tuesday.
It may seem odd to put this picture on a post about Buddhism, but I believe
that there is truth to be had in many places, and Buddah spent a good deal of his life
trying to figure out the how of being happy and content.

"The Cause of Suffering is Desire".  As I understand what is being explained in this section of the book "Buddhism, A Complete Introduction to the History, Traditions, and Beliefs", our "self" is made up of our senses, perceptions, feelings, our will, and our responses and these things are constantly changing.  It is our job to ask if these things are "pushing [us] around, leading [us] into trouble, [or]becoming an excessive preoccupation".  We are to aim to not indulge or avoid our sensory experiences but to aim for "the Middle Way".

I think really the part I wanted to think about most were these two quotes.

"...the most direct cause of suffering is wanting something -- desire".

This reminds me of having expectations that I don't communicate to someone and the frustration that comes when that expectation isn't met.  Not because whoever I was expecting something from didn't want to give it, but because I did not communicate what I wanted.

"The desire that you have for so many things keeps you from seeing things as they are." 

This just reminds me of a time I was at D.I. and was actually praying not to want so many things.  I have been SO blessed that, though it is not bad to have things, it is good for me to focus more on what I already have and am grateful for. 

No comments: