Wednesday, August 2, 2023

I Am A Child of God

Cute Brigham trying to keep his beard under control :-)

While reading from Come Follow Me yesterday I read these words by President Oaks (1st Counselor in the Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints).  He said this:

“Be careful how you characterize yourself. Don’t characterize or define yourself by some temporary quality. The only single quality that should characterize us is that we are a son or daughter of God. That fact transcends all other characteristics, including race, occupation, physical characteristics, honors, or even religious affiliation. …" (emphasis added)

He continued on about the dangers of defining ourselves by qualities that are temporary.  He said that when we define ourselves by temporary qualities we "we de-emphasize what is most important about us.."

It can be so hard to talk to and about ourselves kindly.  I know that it hurts me to hear one of my children say, "I'm so stupid." or other disparaging comments, so I am sure that Heavenly Father does not like us to say such things about ourselves.  I know that it hurts me when I say negative things to myself, about myself -- even if it is not out loud.  It is so important for us all to be careful what we say after the words "I am".  I am NOT stupid.  I don't know everything but I am learning.  I may not FEEL valuable all of the time, but as a child of God I AM valuable!

Negative thinking is not easy to fix.  It takes a LOT of practice and, even when we think we have our thoughts conquered, old patterns will creep back in if we don't continue to practice!  So, let us all practice remembering that as children of God we have great potential and great value.

Happy Wednesday!

(I need to practice remembering to write every day.  I keep remembering when it is too late -- but today I remembered!  Yay for one success!)

He did help Grandpa with his beard too.  And the fireplace -- which
we did tell him did not need shaving.

No comments: