Saturday, August 5, 2023

Visits to the Fair

 I went to the Utah County Fair by myself on Friday afternoon.  It was really hot outside.  I went to the "Maker's Market" because I figured Derek wouldn't be so excited to visit that part of the fair.  I enjoyed chatting with a lady who makes beautiful wooden cutting boards, wooden toys, and other cool things.  I am tempted to buy lots of wooden things, but only bought a food grade wood conditioner that I used on my charcuterie boards.  It made them look brand new!

Today I went to the fair with Derek.  We saw some things I knew were there but hadn't seen, some I had looked at before, and one thing that I didn't know was there.  The pictures are out of order but here are some of the things we saw.

This is a lego model of the Washington D.C. Temple.  It was pretty awesome.
There were a whole lot of very elaborate and impressive lego creations.

We watched the 5-8 year olds show their sheep.  It was pretty impressive!
Some of the kids got pulled over by their nervous sheep a few times but they just popped up
and kept trying to get their sheep under control!  Some of the sheep were more skittish than others.

Derek took this picture of me in front of the quilts because I told him that they reminded me
of my sister Tina who has made some beautiful quilts.

We also saw a lot of wood carvings.  There was a long table with people sitting in front of things they had carved while working on new carvings.  They said that it is a dying art and we should give it a try.  Some of those carvings were very intricate.  

We saw but did not get a picture of the snakes, alligator, Gila monster, or other reptilian creatures.  There was a sign telling us to use hand sanitizer after touching them -- but we had no real desire to touch any of them, nor was there really an opportunity to do so!

The best surprise was running into a friend of mine and her family.  Her husband has a kind of blood cancer and his blood count was miraculously normal last time it was checked.  She naturally was happy to get to share good news and to introduce their newest baby to Derek.

I enjoyed my visits to the fair, and later I enjoyed my time with Brigham who came over to play.  It is always fun to hear him reverently whisper "Pop Pop", which is what he calls Derek.  

No comments: