Wednesday, August 23, 2023

When People and Deer Meet

 This morning while I was working outside a neighbor came by and we got to discussing deer.  He does not like having them around, but he sounded most frustrated that people feed them and so they stay here, in their winter feeding ground, all year round.  They eat what people feed them, and any plants that seem delicious.  Just a little while later I looked out my window and saw a 4 point buck walking around outside of the house.  He stopped for quite a while on the back porch.

This is not a terrific picture since it was taken through a screen, but you can see him there close to the house.  He looked through the glass door so long that I wondered what he was thinking.  As he started to walk back the way he had come, he paused to look in one of the basement windows.

By this time, I had discovered that he has wire wrapped all around his antlers and at least one ear.  I really wanted to fix it, but knew he wouldn't let me get close enough to do that. 

He walked around and laid down by the air conditioner, which is where I managed to stand on Derek's night stand and get a picture without the screen.  You can see the wires.

A little before 4 Trisa texted to ask if he was damaged.  I decided to look out the window again and he was still there!  He rested in the shade there for six hours!


 After a bit I decided to go see what would happen if I walked down the path to the back yard to see if I could get any better pictures.  He hopped right up and we stared at each other for a while and then he left.

I love to watch the deer and am sorry to see he got tangled in something not found in "the wild".  I do also know how frustrating it is when deer decide to eat, pull out, or stomp on plants we just bought.  I still am happy to live up here where we get to try to figure out the best way to get along with the too tame deer.

Here are pictures of the deer when I went to check on him.

Here he is.  If the flower was turned around it would look like he was wearing it to beautify himself!

This is just before he walked off.  I do still feel sad that I  could help untangle him and I hope that somehow the wire won't bother him too much!

No comments: