Sunday, August 6, 2023

Lack or Abundance?

Lack
Photo by Dan Gold on Unsplash
Today, so far, has been the kind of day where it is easy to see my lack.  I lack energy, which makes everything seem harder.  I lacked the gumption to make myself stand up in testimony meeting to share my testimony of our Heavenly Father and Jesus.  It seemed like, in Sunday School, I lacked the ability to keep the attention of the class.  It is days like this where it is easy to get discouraged and to feel like my trying to do things isn't quite good enough.  

Then I thought of the loaves and the fishes.  Obviously, in the scripture story, the boy's lunch was not enough.  How could the little bit he gave possibly help?  But it did.  It helped because He gave it to Jesus who could make it more.

I do not know if the little I gave today made a difference to anyone.  Still, I do know that, in Jesus' hands, even my lack can be enough.  Here is a quote from Emily Freeman's book The Promise of Enough.

"Both abundance and lack [of abundance] exist simultaneously in our lives . . . .It is always our conscious choice which secret garden we will tend."

I do not have a lot of energy today, but I had enough to get up and prepare to go.  I did not stand up and share my testimony today but I did share it with my class, and I smiled at people and hope they know I was glad to see them.  My class did not pay strict attention, but they did pay some attention and I do not know what they did or did not take away with them, but I was there to teach about God's love and He could multiply my little effort into enough.

Sometimes it is so easy to see my lack, but there is also abundance, given by the grace of a loving Father and His beloved son Jesus. 

Abundance
Photo by Raphael Rychetsky on Unsplash

No comments: