Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Happy for Bad News?

Isn't this a cool picture?
Can you see the heart?
A week or two ago when I was told I'd be on crutches for the first two weeks of January I wondered what they thought of my happy sounding, "I've never had crutches before!"

Then today when I actually got results for the heart monitor I wore for a month I probably sounded like the happiest person ever to get a lousy diagnosis.  Hey!  At least I now know that wearing a heart monitor wasn't a waste, and I have a better idea of why my heart flips around sometimes -- sort of.

I have a couple of kinds of tachycardia.  One I don't remember because it apparently isn't a worry.  The other is ventricular tachycardia which is, as explained by Google:
 "a type of abnormal heart rhythm, or arrhythmia. It occurs when the lower chamber of the heart beats too fast to pump well and the body doesn't receive enough oxygenated blood."
This is not something hearts are really supposed to do, and can be very bad.  It usually occurs in people who have had a heart attack in the past (I haven't) or have an unhealthy heart (which I hope I don't) for some reason.  So I "get" to have an echocardiogram to see if they can tell what is causing the problem.  In the mean time they put me on a medicine to help regulate my heart.  One more pill added to the stack that is rapidly starting to feel like a meal all by itself!

So, I still think I'm a healthy person, but I'm not sure the evidence is currently stacking up in my favor.  I'm working on it! :-) and I suppose there are worse things that being cheerful about bad news!

*Photo by Omer Salom on Unsplash

No comments: