Thursday, December 15, 2022

The First and The Last

 

Derek is a good person to be on The Path with!
Picture by Connor Summer 2021

Yesterday I listened to a talk Kayli sent me by Sadie Robertson.  Towards the end, Sadie gave a description of who God is.  She started with, "He is The First and The Last."  I have heard that many times but this time I thought of something different.  I thought of hiking!  

It seems like, when we hike, the trail is usually only one person wide - maybe two.  There is someone in the front, and someone in the back.  Because of my speed, or lack thereof, I am usually in the back.  The other reason I am there is that I have this fear of people getting lost, or hurting themselves and nobody noticing.  Equally important is the person leading.  This is true especially if we are on an uncertain trail where the leader knows the way, and others are less sure.

It struck me that being The First and The Last could easily mean that, as God, He is the leader.  He knows the path and the way back.  He leaves markers for us.  Scriptures, Prophets, Family, Mentors.  He is also The Last because He knows that people are always wandering off the trail and getting lost.  They are often alone and hurting.  He wants to, and is, there to help us get back on the path and to heal our hurts.

He is both the Leader and the Rescuer.  He is the Guide and the Help.  He is where we need Him to be and we would do well to look to our Leader, our Savior to guide us so that we can safely stay on the path home.  Not just any home, but the most joyful home available to us after this life if we just follow Him.

I love Jesus and am thankful for this Christmas season to remember how much He was willing to give up to come and live on Earth and to make the path home available to all.

No comments: