Saturday, September 7, 2019

Keep Your Power

***
Sometimes things happen to us, and we feel powerless.  There seems to be nothing we can do.  We feel sorry for ourselves.  We feel angry at whoever is, or could be responsible.  We feel stuck.  What do we do?

I was talking to one of my sisters-in-law yesterday about how, in difficult circumstances, it is helpful to remember that we are not powerless.  She has been in a lot of pain, and had the thought that she should make it go away.  Well, she has a very real physical problem that causes pain.  She needs medical help that has been slow in coming.  But, she also realized that she could research and find things to relieve the pain.  Even the most difficult challenges are made better when we realize that we have the power to change our circumstances for the better. 

A long time ago in a circumstance that was challenging for me I learned to "Make a plan.  Work the plan."  I read, or ask people questions to get ideas that can help me plan what to do, and I make a plan even if I don't know exactly what the "right" thing is.  No matter what the circumstance, there is always something I can try!

Naturally, sometimes I fail to notice that I am stuck and wallowing instead of stuck and trying to climb out of it.  Sometimes I make a plan, work the plan, and not much changes. But I can make a new plan!  Blaming other people, or illness, or anything else for our problems and pain gives those things power over our happiness.  Blame is not helpful.  I have been amazed on more than one occasion when I realized that owning a problem as mine made it seem lighter, because if it is my problem, then I have the power to change it!

***Photo by Patrick Brinksma on Unsplash
I didn't want to spend a long time looking for the right picture.  The eagle looks determined and powerful so I just ran with that!

1 comment:

Mike said...

Sometimes you are stuck with medical problems,like myself and you may have to adjust your life differently. Now Jenn goes to work and I stay at home and take care of things there( I still have not the woman's touch and probably never will),I do the best I can. Some things I have accepted to be and try to make the best of it. The main thing is to never quit or give up. I can still have a positive impact on other people's lives.