Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Resilience

***
This morning during physical therapy the therapist asked me what ideas I have about teaching kids to be resilient.  Mostly I could think of what I have learned (mostly) not to do.  Don't speak for the children.  Don't take over things they should be responsible for.  Don't do all the work myself.  I think these are important, but I also think there are things that are important that hopefully I've been better at.  Do create a home where your children feel safe and loved.  Do help them be grateful.  And, do help them learn that they can do things that will lift and help those having struggles.

Life is tricky, and I always want to help my children, but if I always bail them out of difficult situations I will rob them of learning experiences that give them stories to laugh about later, and that help them know they can do hard things.

***Photo by Ben White on Unsplash

No comments: