Thursday, June 27, 2019

Receiving Is A Kind of Giving

I was listening to a session from a relationship class this morning and I hurried to write down this quote:  "Receiving is a kind of giving and it takes strength".   This quote brought to mind a way that I am regularly not receiving a gift that is often given to me.

I may have mentioned before that Derek is super great.  He occasionally tells me that I am awesome.  My reaction?  Usually a sinking feeling inside because I don't think of myself that way -- and I struggle with trying to say thanks.  When I heard this quote my thoughts went to all of the times Derek has said something nice like that, and I haven't really received it.  I haven't stopped to be thankful that he really believes what he is saying, and that, in all of the ways he is thinking of, I am awesome!  He would not have said it otherwise.

As I have contemplated this thought a little bit today, I have determined that when he says something like that, I need to work on being truly grateful and keep my mind from listing any and all ways I think I am falling short of awesome!  I know that when I have taken the time to tell someone the good things I appreciate about them, and they have received those words with joy, it has felt like they were giving me the gift!  It is time to make sure that I use the strength necessary to receive the gifts that come my way.  I believe in this way both I, and the gift giver, will be happier.

*Quote by Jennifer Finlayson Fife
*Photo by Tuân Nguyễn Minh on Unsplash

No comments: