Saturday, June 22, 2019

The Secret Life Inside Our Heads

A Model of a Town
The other day one of my boys brought up a story titled, and about, A Town Called Charity.  It is by Blaine M. Yorgason and the people in that town were anything but charitable.  And then a man comes and builds a model of the town.  Every night, miraculously and much to their embarrassment, the thoughts of the people show up on the top of those model houses. 

The boys and I talked about our thoughts, and how much harder we might work to control them if others could hear, or see what we were thinking.  Of course, sometimes when we think our thoughts are hidden, there is evidence of them on our faces, or in our actions.  In that town called Charity, there was certainly evidence in the actions of the people that their thoughts weren't very charitable. 

In the story, slowly, thoughts became more kind and loving, and the town became a much more pleasant place to live.  The town began, with the change of thoughts, to live up to the name of Charity.  Today I was thinking of the secret life inside of my head.  I am certain that changing negative thoughts to positive ones would make the life inside of my head a much more pleasant one!  And changing negative thoughts to positive ones can lead me to be more kind and loving, and would make me more consistently live up to what I want to be -- Charitable.

*Photo by Phil Hearing on Unsplash

No comments: