Monday, October 14, 2019

Tuesday (Oct. 8): Bird Alarms and Bird Thieves

Tuesday morning Kayli and I woke up to my alarm first.  Sigh.  I forgot to turn it off.  Then there was  CAW!!! CAW!!!! (Loud crows) Bang! Bang Bang! (Builders a couple houses down) CAW! CAW!  Bang! Bang! Bang!  Woof! Woof!(Dogs) Waaaa! (Neighbor child) CAW!!  We pretended for a while that it wasn't happening and that we could still sleep, and then we chuckled at the hopelessness of sleeping more and got up to eat and get ready to go to the beach.

We intelligently decided to walk down to the beach the first day.  It was only a mile.  Down.  Down. Down.  Naturally that meant that later we got to walk up, up, up.  We never walked to the beach again.
Kayli at the windy beach just soaking in the beauty and the sun.

This is the hat I got so I could read on the beach without squinting.  Did I mention the beach was windy?  I had to hold the hat on or it would blow away.  I needed an attractive giant bow to tie under my chin.

Kayli, the apples, and the bird thieves.
Kayli and I left our stuff in our bags on our towels and went down closer to the beach to make lovely pictures in the sand.  I glanced up a couple of times and mentioned that I thought the birds were close to our stuff.  Finally I stood up and could see that the birds were getting into our stuff.  They took Kayli's bag of dried apples out of her purse and were dragging it around trying to get them out.  Kayli shooed them away.  I laughed because we had birds in a circle all around us looking hopeful.  I asked if some apples were still edible and she handed the bag to me.  I looked and said, "I can't tell because of the cinnamon".  Kayli just said, "There's no cinnamon".  

After walking home in the afternoon we got in the car and drove to a used book store.  With no Netflix we just had evening reading.  When our host asked if the internet had started working we checked -- and it hadn't.  I told her we were okay because we had gotten books from a used bookstore.  She said, "I love that you went to a bookstore and got books.  Nobody does that!"

At bedtime Kayli realized that we did have a bathroom fan over by the shower and so that became our white noise every night.  It took me a while to be able to ignore the bang, bang, bang, clank pattern of the fan, but I did get used to it and it did make it so we could sleep through crows and banging and dogs and kids.  Yay for a comfortable bed and good sleep!

No comments: