Wednesday, October 2, 2019

"What Do You Do?"

I sometimes have people ask me what I do, or what I have been doing.  My response?  My mind goes completely blank!  I feel like I am constantly doing things, but what are they?  And how important is what I do?
Once a cousin-in-law asked, "What do you do?" and I'm sure I looked blank for a minute or so and then I said, "Oh! I'm in orchestra!"  We all laughed at how happy I sounded to come up with something.  While at physical therapy yesterday someone asked what I've been doing.  Again with the blank mind.  I finally listed reunions, and trips, and we talked about those.

So what do I do?  And how important is it?  Well, I do like a lot of people and I get up in the morning.  I eat.  I read.  I clean.  I drive. I work. I talk.  I laugh.  I cry.  I organize.  I write.  I pay bills.  I shop.  I get gas in the car.  I water plants.  I cut grass.  I walk.  I see.  I listen.  And, I love.  I love things, and people, and ideas, and words, and activities, etc.

And how important is what I do?  Well, who gets to decide that?  What I do is important to me.  I have to deal with the consequences if I don't take care of myself.  I have to deal with the consequences if I am mean, or lazy, or kind, and helpful.  What I do is also important to those close to me because they care about me too.  So what am I busy doing?  Living and loving.

No comments: