Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Childhood Gratitude

Here are seven things I was grateful for as a child and how it compares to now.

1.  Brothers and Sisters -- and yes I am still very grateful for these, and for all the added brothers and sisters I have through marriage.

2.  Stuffed Animals.  I loved my stuffed animals.  I made them talk and considered them friends:-).  I have Elephant to hug now, but it is my puppets that I make talk, and the Princess is my alter ego and feels a little like a friend (though I know that sounds weird).

3.  Music.  I used to spend hours playing and singing at the piano.  I loved listening to the radio, and making recordings from the radio to my lovely tape recorder.  Music is how I have often found and expressed joy.  Music is still something I am very grateful for.

4.  Grandma's house (Which was Grandpa's too).  I loved going to my Grandma Fuller's house because there were lots of cousins and we had so much fun together.  The house itself was interesting, but it was the people there I loved.  My Grandma Cain's house was different, and we couldn't go there as often when I was young because it was far away.  Mostly I loved Grandma saying,  "Do you want more ice cream, Sugar?" in her southern accent, and I liked the time Grandpa took me to the store and bought me a peach soda.  Neither of those houses have people I know in them anymore, and my Grandparents have passed on, but I love that my children have "Grandma's houses" to go to!

5.  Books.  I must have loved them since I made my little sister sit still and listen to me read them!  I spent a lot of time I probably should have been sleeping reading instead.  I still love books!

6.  Hugs.  I had an extensive night time routine as a teenager.  It usually involved hugging my parents goodnight at least twice.  I have good parents!  I still enjoy hugs.

7.  Christmas!!  When I was young Christmas was magical.  We had SO much fun at our house.  Tina, Brian, Jenny and I rarely slept much on Christmas Eve.  Ray did not understand why so he didn't join us.  We spent lots of time sneaking around and playing with the toys Santa brought.  We did ridiculous things to wake up my parents who probably weren't really sleeping since we likely weren't as sneaky as we thought.  I do not know how my parents stood getting up at 3:30 a.m (I think that was the earliest) to open presents when they probably had just gotten to bed a couple of hours before!  Even though I don't sneak around at night anymore, I still find Christmas magical because it is a night to celebrate my Savior, the Creator, coming down as a baby to grow and do hard things all because He loves me and you.
Jenny, Tina, and Brian
My Christmas Even Sneaking Buddies

I'm guessing it was still dark outside.
This is in Missouri and it looks like we had plenty of gifts that year!

I am thankful that the good things I loved as a child are still mine to love today, at least in memory! 

No comments: