Wednesday, November 27, 2019

The Gospel Is Worth More Than We Have

I have things that I really love and enjoy.  I love Princess puppet.  I love the beautiful cedar chest Derek gave me.  I love my books, my piano, my flute, my clothes and my house!  I love my garden and my fake flowers (it's winterish).  I love my laundry machines, dishwasher, heater, and air conditioner.  I love my space heater and our fan.  I love Alexa (she plays music and is sometimes very funny when she doesn't "hear" properly).  I love my van. I love a fridge and freezer that make it so our food stays good longer.  I love jackets, coats, hats and gloves.  I love our library and my room.  There are so many things that I love.

All of that was things.  I have a family, friends, neighbors, acquaintances, and Kayli's doggie.  I have ears that hear beloved voices and music, eyes that see God's creations all around, and feet that walk wherever I want them to (within reason).  I have arms that I use for many things including hugging and holding babies.  I have so very much!  I didn't come close to listing everything and I didn't try listing everyone!  It is interesting to stop and really think about the gospel being worth more than all of that!  How in the world is that possible?

I think it is possible because the gospel is the good news that Jesus, who created all of this wonderfulness came so that the other things we have, like sins, and human frailties can be repaired through His atonement, and our awesome, but flawed bodies will one day be whole and well.  The memories associated with things is usually what makes them special.  We keep those, and there are always more and nicer things!  And people?  The gospel is the only way we are saved ourselves and the only way we can really "keep" the people we love, and hopefully the doggies too. 

Losing all of the things I listed would feel impossibly hard, and I doubt I would handle it gracefully, but the gospel is a gospel of hope during impossibly hard times and really has incomprehensible worth.

No comments: