Tuesday, February 18, 2020

"Comparison Always Leads To Carnality"

This is what I heard on the Christian radio station.  The speaker clarified this by saying that when we compare ourselves to others, it always leads to sin.  I thought that was interesting to think about.  If I compare myself to you and find myself wanting then I am being ungrateful for who I am and what I can do, and I probably am not rejoicing in your accomplishments, looks, or talents -- I am coveting them.

If, on the other hand, I compare myself to you and find you wanting, I am not judging you in the way that Jesus would, by looking on the heart, and I am being prideful, and thinking myself above you. 

I do not really know if there is any way to compare ourselves to others without it leading to sin.  It is so natural to look at what someone else can do, or how they look, and compare it to ourselves.  I guess the trick is to be observant, but to take ourselves out of it, being happy for every good thing we observe in others, and remembering that what we all have, we have by the grace of God.

Photo by Dietmar Becker on Unsplash

No comments: