Wednesday, February 26, 2020

JOY -- Just Over Yonder?

It is easy to look around when we are having a hard time and think, "That person is having joy.  What's wrong with me?"  Or "Why do all the bad things happen to me?"  Or any number of negative things.  It can seem that joy is always over yonder and not here with us. 

Since JOY is my word of the year, when I am feeling a little down, I try to contemplate joy.  Just thinking of the word is helpful, but I thought it would be nice if there was a good acronym to go with it.  It was easy to think of things that went with "over yonder".  Jake is over yonder.  Jump over yonder.  Etc. but not of those things represent joy.

I was looking at different words that started with the letter j when it struck me that the obvious choice for the word J should stand for is Jesus.   After all, joy stems from the life we have been blessed with, the beautiful world He created for us to live on, and the ability the atonement of Jesus Christ gives us to repent and be renewed, and also to be resurrected.

The best I have come up with so far is Jesus Oversees You.  This is meant in the best possible way (of course!).  Jesus is aware of you (and me).  He knows what is best for us.  He will guide us if we turn to Him -- unless He knows that it is best for us to struggle on for a while -- trying to learn and move forward in faith.  Jesus saves "all the works of His hands" except those who choose not to be saved.  Even in the hardest of time, there is joy in knowing Jesus.

No comments: