Friday, January 27, 2023

Choosing a Totem

 A counselor of one of my children suggested that it could be helpful to choose a totem, or a symbol that is just for them so that when they see it, they are reminded of whatever it is they need to remember.  For example, if you look up the characteristics of a bear you might find that bears are, gentle, tolerant, affectionate, and devoted.  If you chose a bear as your totem, you would remember those qualities whenever you see a bear and remember that you want to have those characteristics too and hopefully you will remember that, even if you aren't yet perfect at that list of things, it is something that you can improve on.  

I loved the choice my daughter made but since I seem to have collected elephants since my friend gave me one a few years ago when I was dealing with cancer.  I even made something to hang up.  Perhaps though, I need to narrow the things I want to work on or remember, because I can't ever seen to remember many things on the list!


If you want something fun to think about you can think about what you would choose as a totem and what you would want to remember when you saw that thing.

No comments: