Saturday, January 21, 2023

Compulsively Sorry

A good spot for a restful time out!
When Derek and I were dating I had a really sweet roommate who was always compulsively saying she was sorry.  Derek and I would tell her that she had no reason to be sorry and she would say, "OK, Sorry!"  The interesting thing is that when I get tired or start to feel depressed this is one of the first signs.  I start compulsively apologizing.  I bump someone a little and say sorry.  They accidentally bump into me and I say I'm sorry.  I make a little noise and am sorry.  

I think when we watched the movie last night I said sorry to Derek about 8 times and I never really did anything wrong.  I apologized for some random thing today and Derek said, "Would you please stop saying you are sorry!"  When I'm feeling down I get too inward focused and can come up with some creative ways to make everything that happens that isn't perfect my fault!  Sigh.

When Derek asked me to stop apologizing I realized that I was feeling pretty emotional when absolutely nothing was wrong and so I, for a change, chose wisely and put myself in a restful time out.  I closed my door, sat in my rocking chair, put on uplifting music, covered myself with my electric blanket and just rocked with my eyes closed and rested.  At the very end I actually got on my bed, but then I realized I felt much better and went back out to be with everyone else.

I need to remember that when I start being compulsively sorry it is time to excuse myself and head to time out if possible!

This is the lamp I found at D.I. today for $3
I think it is really pretty and unique.
It also has too bright of a bulb in it right now so it is
rather blinding if it is on!

1 comment:

Mike said...

You mentioned uplifting music. My pastor at the time,Bob Cornett made a statement that changed my life. He said that music,if it isn't uplifting, worshipping or praising God,then it's garbage. I immediately went out to the car after the service and changed my radio stations to all Christian stations and I haven't regretted it. Music is mentioned about 1150 times in the Bible so it's pretty important to God. And that is a very pretty lamp! Love ya Cuz,have a great day!🙏🙏🙏☕☕☕