Wednesday, January 4, 2023

What Sparks Joy For You?

I  finished "Spark Joy" by Marie Kondo last night.  I bought it a few years ago; maybe after reading her book "The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up".  It turns out that I love tidying up!  For me it is fun.  I never did read "Spark Joy" until now.  I just glanced at it now and then and somehow thought it was just going to be instructions on how to fold clothes properly, or how to organize your clothes to spark joy.   I am glad I finally read it.  She told some of her story and I really found the book interesting.  Today I quite enjoyed walking around and pointing out to myself the different things around that spark joy for me.

There were two things outside of the windows today that sparked joy.  One was a black helicopter flying low in the canyon by our windows.  When it got out of sight I ran to a different window and saw it hovering across the canyon as a herd of deer ran across the hill.  That was pretty cool!

Not the helicopter I saw.  We had a blue sky today.
Photo by Creative Illustrations on Unsplash

Later I was doing the budget (which wasn't sparking any joy really) when I heard turkey noises.  I turned and saw one lone turkey out back, but then I looked to the side and saw 30 or 40 marching their way through the snow and up the hill.  It also turned out that the one turkey had a few buddies and they scratched away under the bird feeder finding the seeds the birds threw out with their picky beaks.  After they were done eating this smaller group of turkeys followed the other group up the hill.

These may be some of the same turkeys.  Just from earlier this year.

I also heard a bird yelling.  I figured it had to be my bluebird friend who comes to our bird feeder sometimes and yells to let his friend bluebird know to come.  At least that's what I am guessing though maybe she's just letting the little birds know they have to stay away while she eats.

Not the same birds but they are at least similar.
I need to work on my bird identification skills!
Photo by Liz Guertin on Unsplash

It turns out that there really are a lot of things that spark joy if you look for them!

No comments: