Sunday, January 8, 2023

This Savior Who Loves Me

 This Savior Who Loves Me

Photo by Pisit Heng on Unsplash


Did you ever wonder why the Savior came?

Did He really love me that much?  

Was I really worth the pain?


I imagine Jesus kneeling in the garden all alone

And He sees my face before Him when we were both at home.

And I was very little thinking He was very tall.

I loved Him very much.

And I looked at Him with awe.

He knew when I was born that though He’d remember me,

I would not remember all the things I cannot see.

He knew I’d make mistakes as I try to follow Him,

And He loves me very much and wants to save me from my sin.


I then imagine soldiers who are being very mean,

And hurting Him so badly, worse than anything I’ve seen.

And Jesus thinks of me and how I never intend pain,

But I will make mistakes and I will count upon His name

So I can call upon Him to release me from my shame.


I can see my brother carrying a large and heavy beam

As those who line the streets - spit on Him and scream.

And He knows I won’t be able to carry all my load

When I am here on earth walking on the earthly road.

So He keeps on stepping forward so He can do His part

And lift the heavy load that would be upon my heart.


In my mind I hear the pounding of the nails

As they drive into the hands and feet of He whose love won’t fail.

He doesn’t even cry out as He sees again my face

And He knows there is no other who can ever take His place.

Without Him I’ll be lost and He will not let that be

And He swallows all the pain.  Even more than I can see.


And finally it’s finished.  He’s rescued me from sin

And all I need to do is keep turning unto Him.

This is a blessed miracle, but there is one more still.

I watch as Jesus’ body is carried down the hill.

Tears roll down my face for this brother that loves me.

This will not be the end!  I keep looking and I see.

The stone is rolled away.  The tomb is empty there.

And He lives again.  He took more than I can bear.

And I know the final miracle is that I can live again.

And I also know I want to live my life with thanks to Him.

This Savior who loves me more than I can comprehend.

By Sherie


The idea for this poem came during the Sacrament at church today. I was afraid I would forget and so I started writing it down and had half of it finished before the meeting was over. Hopefully I'll be forgiven for not paying very good attention to the testimonies given. The parts I heard were good!

No comments: